Thursday, December 14, 2017
Saturday, September 2, 2017
I dumped my HF gear and put the money into a TD-D710AG, refreshed the Peet Bros. 2100. It had been out of commission since 2011 when a strangely mean neighbor sawed down my mast on a Thursday morning and gave it to the curbside for trash pickup that day. We had moved, I had not disassembled the mast and had returned to do finish the move on that Friday. Gone!
So today, 9/2/2017, KI4FH has sent its first packet of weather data. I am not able to replace the anemometer yet but upon selling off some more hf stuff, I will. For now it is the basics.
It is good to be back.
Friday, June 23, 2017
Gone will be the RG213 and RG 58 strewn about. Relieved they will be of the "Honey can you hold the end of the wire?" "Keep it tight" I have been promising all week that the mess in the house will be taken care of tonight. I have been saying that all week, each afternoon.
So now I am putting it together. I will be solo this FD. On Siesta Key Beach! The Number 1 Beach in America according to Trip Advisor.
I have scoped out a spot. The county folks were friendly but stopped just short of giving me a permit to operate the full 27 hours.
So if you want a QSO from a QRP operator at the Number 1 Beach in America, look for KI4FH - KI4 Florida Hotel on 20 and 15 at day and 40 at night. I will be on the QRP voice and QRP CW sections.
73 - Whooppeee!
Saturday, September 10, 2016
So I have played around with several iterations of center feed insulators. All homebrew using Sched 40 PVC. I have also hidden a #73 Bead Choke Balun inside a PVC tube but the weight is too much for the occasional torrential summertime Florida storm. I now incorporate a waterproof taped piece of Coax with 50 #73 torrid beads on the cable. This is working out excellently although it is ugly. To lower stress point issues on my 8X center conductor and braid, I have them fed into a straight through PVC cap to an SO-239.
I prefer the bead balun when the number of turns of cable to effect the same result would cause a lot of weight at the center. On the 20 meter antenna, the turns are about 6 with a 4 1/2" air core The cable is strapped together with UV resistant ties. This works great.
To round things out, I purchased a Budwig Center Insulator from WizeSupplize and am now experimenting with that as opposed to one of my waterproof home brew centers.
It seems pretty tight!
So, that is it for now.
Tuesday, March 22, 2016
- 40 Meters 7.150 1.6:1
- 20 Meters 14.150 1.4:1
- 15 Meters 21.160 1:1
- 10 Meters 28.5 1:1
Here are some pics. Radials are buried about 1" down to keep from getting chewed up by the mower.
Check my log on the Activity page to see how it is performing from Sarasota, Florida.
|Full setup. Off to the upper left is the feedline for my|
G5RV Jr. A great antenna.
|Not perfect all around but very effective. Lengths vary due to|
obstacles etc. Longest ones are 34+ feet and shortest about 16.
|I liked the view!|
Sunday, June 14, 2015
My first cursory visual inspection did not reveal any issues. Once I hooked it up I found intermittent issues and some wild results.
I opened up the unit to give a closer inspection. I found that the Acrylic stand-offs that the air inductors rest on were both cracked. This permitted movement of the caps and upon further inspection noted that one of the caps was not screwed on in the portion that is grounded. So....
I acquired two 1/2" square Acrylic rods from eStreet Plastics. Being a big fan of The Boss, I went with them as the supplier.
I acquired a brad bit to drill the holes for the mounting screws and the screws used to keep the caps in place. once drilled and mounted I had grounding issues as I screwed the caps through to where they were grounded to the chassis. After mounting the caps correctly, the tuner worked like a charm. It has been doing great.
So if you get one, the most common problems I have read about are that the Acrylic stand-offs are broken and that the inductor switch is not working. If you are finding that it won't tune at all it may be a grounding issue where the caps are grounded to the chassis by mistake or broken stand-off.
Tuesday, April 14, 2015
The horizontal loop fed with ladder line performed less that miserably so down it went. I used the wire and one of the posts to setup my 40 Meter Sloper Doublet. It has done a great job and is out performing my G5RV on more northern hops. They run pretty much neck and neck. The benefit of the sloper is in the feedline. Using the ladder line allows for very little loss. To keep it from the rain gutters, I used a piece of wood that it lays over and extends beyond the gutters by a few feet. There is about 125 feet of ladder line being used. I have not seen any problem running it across the roof as long as I keep it away from vents and the like.
I was amazed when I could easily tune up on 80 Meters! I assume that on that band the feedline radiates some but it gets me through. My next move will be to put up an 80 meter sloper doublet.
It is resonate at about 7250 without the tuner. I am tuning up on 80, 40, 20 (2:1) 15, and 10.