Monday, July 2, 2018

New Antenna, Remote Switch

Over the past few weeks there has been a lot of activity in the shack with little focus for air time.  I have been getting to know the trees and branches on the property, figuring out the best position for a new Dipole.  Once I stepped back I realized I needed a half way decent multiband antenna.  The problem with a decent multiband is that my lot, diagonal, measures 132 feet.  Straight line front to back is 104 feet.  I ma blessed with several trees, up about 45 feet tops.  I settled on a G5RV but where to fit it was the problem.  After getting a stiff neck looking up at the trees contemplating the least invasive, least error prone locations, I took a chance on an inverted V configuration in my back yard.  My wulfhung is an 8oz plumb bob which has proven to be a great way to get a wire up, once you get the hang of it.  I found a nice hole in the branches that only has a few leaves touching the 450 Ohm ladder line that forms the 31.5 foot feedline.  So far, as of today, it is working on one of the worst days for HF this summer.  I am hearing the International Bible Study Net on 14.32250 and the ant appears to be staying true to its form by providing an omni directional pattern.
I sold a scanner and picked up an Ameritron RS8V  Remote Coax Switch which makes my wife a happy person by not having 4 or 5 holes in the wall!